Pre-War Trains 4mm 1/76
Offering excellent quality at a very affordable price.
For larger view of packs - click on images
TT4PreW MAN A6 pack £3.75
The Mancunian was introduced as a titled train by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in September 1927. Running between London Euston and Manchester London Road. The title was withdrawn on 9 September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War and was re-introduced by British Railways in September 1949.
Manchester Club Trains
TT4PreW CLUB A5 pack £3.75
These trains became popular with business men in the north-west during the early twentieth century. They were trains that had reversed special saloons or coaches for the exclusive use of business men who wanted to be together during their journeys. For this arrangement a special supplement was paid. The two that are represented in this pack are perhaps the most well known: The Llandudno and Blackpool Club trains. The artwork for the boards in this pack have been worked from photographs of the period and the wording is therefore prototypical.
TT4PreW MANX A6 pack £3.75
This summer only service was introduced as a titled train by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in July 1927. The Manxman ran between London Euston and Liverpool Lime Street allowing passengers to catch ferries to the Isle of Man from Liverpool Pier Head. The title was withdrawn on 9 September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War, and despite having been a popular service, was only to be re-introduced by British Railways during the summer of 1951.
The Merseyside Express
TT4PreW MERSEY A6 pack £3.75
Introduced by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in March 1928, the title had originally introduced the year before as ’The London and Merseyside Express’. The train from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street with a portion for Southport (Chapel Street). The Southport portion was originally attached/detatched at Edge Hill, this was later altered to Lime Street. The title was withdrawn on 9 September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War.
The Mid-Day Scot
TT4PreW MDS A6 pack £3.75
The Mid-Day Scot was first introduced as a titled train by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in September 1927, a few months after the introduction of the Royal Scot. Although it officially lost its name at the beginning of the Second World War, it was so important to the running of operations on the West Coast Main Line that it continued to run, on and off, throughout hostilities. The title was formally conferred back on the service by British Railways in September 1949.
The Night Scot
TT4PreW NSCOT A6 pack £3.75
The Night Scot run by the LMSR was essentially an express with sleeping car accommodation. The train left London Euston at approximately quarter to midnight arriving in Glasgow in good time for the next working day. The up train left Glasgow at 10.45 p.m. and arrived at Euston at 7.15 a.m. During the Second World War the train continued but lost its title. It was a particularly heavy train with accommodation reserved for troops. Strangely, British Railways never re-introduced the title after the War.
TT4PreW NORSE A6 pack £3.75
This boat train service was introduced by the London and North Eastern Railway running from King’s Cross to Newcastle Tyne Commission Quay to meet with Norwegian sailings. The headboard was introduced in 1932 but was rarely used. Withdrawn at the start of the Second World War, the title was only resumed by British Railways in June 1950.
TT4PreW PAL A6 pack £3.75
The Comet was introduced as a titled train by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in September 1932. Running between London Euston and Manchester London Road, the name was derived from the contraction of 'Cottonopolis' and 'Metropolis' and not the shooting star. It was one of the fastest trains on the LMS and was so popular that a relief train was often run on Friday evenings. The title was withdrawn on 9 September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War only to be re-introduced in September 1949.
The Peak Express
TT4PreW PEAK A6 pack £3.75
The history of this train can be traced back to the early part of twentieth century when the Great Western Railway the time to be run between London Paddington and Penzance. It was perhaps one of the most iconic titled trains being used by thousands of holidaymakers during the 1930s and after the war when the title was resumed. By the 1930s, on some runs there were as many as nine different portions reaching many different destinations in the south-west. The title was suspended for the duration of the Second World War but was quickly re-introduced in May 1946 as the Cornish Riviera Express.
The Pines Express
TT4PreW Pines A6 pack £3.75
Originally introduced in 1927, The Pines gained its name from an area of pine trees that it passed through in the Bournemouth area. The service had portions for Manchester, Liverpool and Bradford, these were assembled at Crewe before working through to Bournemouth over the Somerset and Dorset line. The title was withdrawn in September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War only to be re-introduced in October 1946
Queen of Scots
TT4PreW QS A6 pack £3.75
This luxury Pullman Car express was introduced by the LNER in May 1928. It initially operated between Kings Cross and Edinburgh and this was later extended to Glasgow via Leeds and Harrogate. The locomotives most associated with this service were the Ivatt C1 class Atlantics as well as the Gresley A1 Pacifics. The service was suspended for the duration of the Second World War, only to be re-introduced in July 1948.
The Royal Highlander
TT4PreW ROYH A6 pack £3.75
This sleeping Car service running between London Euston and Inverness was introduced by the LMSR in September1927. It was quite a long and slow train leaving London Euston in the middle of the evening. It was a popular service during the summer months and sometimes two relief trains had to run. The main train ran to Inverness but at Perth it detached coaches for Aberdeen. The service continued during the war years but not as a named service. The title was re-introduced by British Railways in September 1949.
The Royal Scot
TT4PreW RS A6 pack £3.75
The Royal Scot was first introduced as a titled train by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in July 1927. This prestigious express ran between London (Euston) and Glasgow. The LMS introduced a headboard in 1933 which was a cast iron narrow rectangular one with rounded corners This was permanently attached to the central smokebox of No. (4)6100 until rebuilding. The title was withdrawn on 9 September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War only to be re-introduced in February1948.
TT4PreW SCAND A6 pack £3.75
One of the several boat trains run by the London and North Eastern Railway from London Liverpool Street to connect with sailings to and from Harwich Parkeston Quay. The train was originally introduced to connect with sailings to Esbejerg in Denmark in 1928 and was firstly timetabled as the ‘Esbjerg Continental Express’. It adopted the name of ‘Scandinavian’ in September 1930. Withdrawn at the start of the Second World War, the title was re-introduced by the LNER in 1945
The Silver Jubilee
TT4PreW JUB A6 pack £3.75
The Silver Jubilee was introduced by the London and North Eastern Railway to commemorate King George V’s Silver Jubilee in 1935. Entering service on 30 September 1935, the train travelling between London King's Cross and Newcastle covered the run at an average speed of 67 mph, taking four hours to complete the journey. It was composed of two twin-set articulated coaches, and one triple-set; seven coaches in all. These were painted silver with blue coach name boards.
The Sunny South Express
TT4PreW SUN A6 pack £3.75
This train was very popular with holiday makers heading for the south coast in the 1920s and 30s. It was a direct service from the north avoiding the inconvenience of crossing London. Starting at Manchester at 10.40 a.m. and Liverpool at 10.35 a.m., the two sections joined at Crewe and then headed south. At Willesden a locomotive from the Southern took over the train and then proceeded to skirt through west London on its way to Brighton, Eastbourne, Bexhill and Hastings.
TT4PreW TC A6 pack £3.75
The Thames-Clyde Express was introduced by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in September 1927. Running between London St.Pancras and Glasgow St.Enoch, the train took the Midland route over the Carlisle and Settle to Carlisle and then the ex-Glasgow and South Western Railway line via Dumfries. The title was withdrawn on 9 September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War only to be re-introduced in September 1949.
TT4PreW TF A6 pack £3.75
Introduced by the London Midland and Scottish Railway at the same time as the Thames-Clyde Express was in September 1927; the Express ran between London St. Pancras and Edinburgh Waverley. The train took the Midland route over the Carlisle and Settle to Carlisle and then the ex-North British Railway Waverley route to Edinburgh. The title was withdrawn in September 1939 for the duration of the Second World War and the name was never re-introduced.
TT4PreW TORBAY A6 pack £3.75
Introduced by the Great Western Railway in 1923 this train ran from Paddington to the West Country. It covered its 200 miles journey in just under three and a half hours. Despite officially being withdrawn at the start of hostilities in September 1939, it is known that on occasions it carried roofboards during the war. Before its demise, the Great Western Railway officially re-introduced the service in May 1946.
The Ulster Express
TT4PreW ULSTER A6 pack £3.75
The title was first introduced by the LMS in July 1927 as a boat train service to Ireland running between London Euston and Fleetwood. In April 1928, Heysham became the terminus instead and continued to be used for sailings throughout the life of the train. During the war the train’s name was removed along with its restaurant cars. The title was re-introduced by British Railways in 1949.
TT4PreW WELSH A6 pack £3.75
The title had originally been introduced by the LMS in 1927 as a summer only service. The train ran from London Euston to Holyhead with through coaches for Portmadoc and Pwllheli. Suspended at the start of the Second World War, the titled train was re-introduced to the summer timetable by British Railways in June 1950.
TT4PreW YP A6 pack £3.75
The title came into being in September 1935 as a result of a Hull portion being added to what was the West Riding Pullman making a title change necessary. Normally the train was loaded with eight Pullman Cars: Four from Harrogate (via York), two from Hull and two from Halifax. However as the train later grew to up to twelve cars it would require Pacific locomotive haulage. Withdrawn in early September 1939, the train was reinstated in November 1946.
TT4PreW YORKS A6 pack £3.75
Using the Midland Main Line route, The Yorkshireman was introduced as a titled train by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in March 1925. Running between London St. Pancras and Bradford Exchange, the train took a route through the West Riding lines via Thornhill and Royston to access Sheffield. The title was withdrawn at the beginning of the Second World War and was never re-introduced. However, British Rail used the name for a short period in the 1970s.